Awards and Scholarships
Part of our leadership role is to recognize achievement through awards, and encourage others to follow in the footsteps of those achievers through scholarships.
Arthur R. Smith Awards
The Arthur R. Smith Awards were created in the name of our founder as a way to recognize and honour innovative, committed and caring front-line employees and volunteers within the homeless-serving system.
We are extending the opportunity to celebrate excellence and philanthropy in the homeless-serving sector. The Arthur R. Smith Awards reception will take place on October 12, 2017. To nominate an individual or team you feel demonstrates a strong commitment to the goal of ending homelessness please complete a nomination form by June 30, 2017 at 4:00 pm.
|Call for Nominations 2017||Art Smith Awards Nomination Form 2017|
Hon. Col. Arthur R. Smith, OC, AOE, DFC, Hon. LLD
May 16, 1919 – June 30, 2008
- 2016: KAIROS Calgary, Devon Ouellette and Alberta Health Services’ Community Treatment Order Team. Read More (PDF)
- 2014: Sharon Robertson, Gabriel Chen and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary’s Infinity Project Team. Read more (PDF)
- 2013: Harry and Irene Simmelink, Cheryle Sklapsky and Sunalta Lodging House Team.
- 2012: Marlies Bird, Chloe Neumann and Alberta Works Outreach Team. Read more (PDF).
- 2011: Dennis Halstead,Scott Calling Last and Inn from the Cold Case Management Team. Read more (PDF).
- 2010: Stacie Buttee, Natalie Ross, Bradley Fisher, Joe Schreiber, Krista Mergel and Viviane Theriaul. Read more (PDF).
- 2008: Nicole Bealing, Ralph Watson, Shirley Marion.
- 2007: Ioan Tirlui, Lisa Garrisen, Pat Colman.
Certificate in Working with Homeless Populations: Practice Fundamentals
We partner with the Faculty of Social Work at the University of Calgary to offer a certificate program for staff and volunteers in the homeless sector. The program covers topics relevant to serving people at risk of or experiencing homelessness. Students will engage in interactive learning and dialogue with peers, experts, instructors and persons with lived experience. To read more about the Certificate, click here to view the brochure.
The CHF offers scholarships, which cover about two-thirds of the program cost.