Our Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) has been invaluable in our work to end homelessness. It provides vital insights into homelessness, so we can efficiently and effectively focus resources where they will have the most impact.
HMIS is an electronic data management system that allows agencies to track key indicators on homelessness. Many organizations serving homeless persons in Calgary enter client information into the HMIS, such as age, health status, employment status and housing status when an initial intake is done. While the client is receiving services, updated information is entered; in the case of some programs, follow-up assessments are done every three months. In the case of some program types, there are both exit and post-exit follow-up assessments completed.
Serving as the backbone agency of Calgary’s homeless-serving sector, staff at CHF serve five main functions in relation to HMIS:
- Provide training on how to use it.
- Provide ongoing tech support to HMIS users.
- Pull HMIS data to help meet requirements of our funders.
- Provide data and analysis to CHF staff who monitor performance of programs we fund.
- Share data with external researchers.
For more information on getting involved in the HMIS system, or accessing data, please email to email@example.com.